Surface and borehole surveys are used for direct detection of iron-rich minerals or for mapping geological units with variable susceptibilities.
Applications in Mineral Exploration
- Iron ore prospecting.
- Iron formations with associated mineralization: IOCG.
- Chromite and manganese prospecting.
- Sulphide occurrences associated with magnetite and/or pyrrhotite.
- Kimberlites, asbestos & placer deposits.
- Geological mapping of lithology.
- Structural mapping (faults, fractures, shear zones, folds, etc.).
- Structurally-hosted deposits (U-conglomerates, stratiform Pb-Zn).
- Depth to bedrock to determine thickness of sedimentary section, overburden, etc.
- Inexpensive equipment and straight forward survey procedures.
- High resolution and cost-effective for detail or reconnaissance surveys.
- Useful complementary data enhances interpretation of other geophysical surveys.
- Highly sophisticated processing and interpretation tools.
- Weak and ambiguous responses at low latitudes.
- Total field readings available in continuous recording mode or as discrete stations.
- Total field and vertical gradient readings available in the discrete station mode.
- A base station is required for correction of the earth’s magnetic field diurnal variations.
- Magnetometer with integrated GPS records simultaneous accurate position and total field readings while operator; may be walking, or by boat or ATV-borne.
- In-field QC performed using our proprietary Magneto® software.
- Total magnetic field (Hx, Hy, Hz).
- May be combined with other sensors.
See more information under "Borehole Logging Services".
- Colour contours and/or profiles
- Total magnetic field
- Vertical Gradient
- Second Derivative
- Tilt Derivative
- Analytical signal
- Euler 3D deconvolution maps
Euler 3D deconvolution results on a TMF map. Depth to source is represented by coloured circles ranging from blue for shallow (20 m) to magenta for deeper (80 m) sources. Note the interesting NNW striking subsidiary structures cross-cutting the folded iron formations.
Visit our Case Study Tool to see what TDEM has discovered over the years.